Raising a Special Child: Coping with the Cost - A Mother's Road

June 07, 2015

Raising a Special Child: Coping with the Cost


Having a child with special needs is really tough. It's a 24/7 parenting duties because they have unusual behavior that requires full attention.

As a parent, not only do we have to be physical present but also emotionally stable for them. And it doesn't end there...

If you are planning to see a developmental pediatrician for your child's evaluation, you must also be financially prepared. Doctor's fee ranges from 3,000-12,000 while tuition fee in private schools usually starts at 3,000 per month or 500 for every one hour session.

I initially enrolled Zac at Starflight Development Center for Special Children, a private school in Guiguinto, Bulacan. Our monthly rate costs 2,700 (discounted price), which is equivalent to 8 sessions. At first, I thought I wouldn't be able to keep up with the monthly fee so I even requested for a financial aid from a government institution. I was informed by the PCSO Department Head that there are public SPED (Special Education) centers in the Philippines that caters to kids with special needs, that's why kids that requires occupational therapy are not covered by their financial assistance.

For someone like me who has no idea about special education, I thought occupational therapy is a medical treatment. This journey has really opened up my mind into a lot of things that I'm not aware of.

So what made me decide to transfer Zac? 

First of all, the proximity of the school. It's an hour travel from home. My son tends to exhibit emotional outburst on our way to school so it's no longer safe for the both of us.

Second, I enrolled him during summer of 2014 and sessions were done one-on-one. When June came in, one-on-one sessions are no longer available. The session was adjusted into three students per teacher. Apparently, Zac started to imitate his classmate's behavior and it worried me a lot. At his age and emotional state, I think one-on-one session is what's best for him.

I have nothing against the school at all. The teachers are very professional and the school is very much equipped with appropriate tools. It's just that as a mom, I felt the need to find a better institution or center for my child.

Then, I was endorsed by a close friend to a SPED teacher in San Jose. It is much closer to home and the monthly rate is just ₱3,000. Zac spent a year doing one-on-one session with Ma'am Josie. Unfortunately, she's planning to migrate to the U.S. to stay with her family for good. So I decided to find a new school for Zac. I also think that now's the time to get him into a school-based environment.

And as I search for a new school for Zac, I discovered a public SPED learning center at Marcelo H. Del Pilar Memorial School in San Nicolas, Bulakan and classes will start next week. I was advised to wait for the teacher's confirmation via text, whether Zac will be accepted or not. The school looks great, the facility has tons of books and materials which is really perfect for kids with special needs. And among all of the schools I've seen, this has been the best SPED center so far so I'm really looking forward for a positive response from the teacher.

If you're also planning to enroll your child in a SPED school, inquire at your local government unit and have the following documents ready:
  • photocopy of the child's NSO Birth Certificate
  • photocopy of the Doctor's Assessment

No comments: